Birthday Parties



Happy Tuesday!

I hope your weekend was filled with delightful events and memories that make you all warm and happy inside. We celebrated my husband's birthday - first with a romantic dinner for two and followed it up with a proper party the following night. This is only the second party I've ever thrown, so it's still a challenge for me to cook and prepare for a large gathering.

some of our "mad and wonderful" friends at the party including the ringleader, my husband. 

It was a mad, mad weekend where I was running around shopping, more shopping, cooking, more cooking and then cleaning. It was great to see good friends gather in our home and I was quite happy with how everything turned out, but I felt that I was missing out on all the fun because I was always answering the door or making sure that plates and glasses were being picked up and food was being replenished. The day after, I came to the conclusion that it's not fun being the hostess because there's no time to mingle and enjoy the moment. So, in future, I think we will hire one or two people to help serve at the party. I don't mind all the cooking and preparation involved. It's just that I want to enjoy the party too! I am definitely not what you would call "the hostess with the mostest."

What about you?
How do you enjoy your own parties?
Any tips to share?

p.s. yesterday was Thanksgiving Day in Canada, and it's one of my favourite holidays, so Happy Belated Thanksgiving to you all.


Reese

Comments

  1. Oh gosh, I absolutely do not cherish the thought of playing chef and waiter at my own party! A bit of a damper (Yup, I'd be a bad hostess for a proper party :))

    I've "cheated" by only ever throwing buffet-like events, where guests helped themselves, and always "co-hosted" with 1-3 others, so it wasn't just on me. I like your idea of hiring 2-3 people...seems so worth it! (I'm thinking of this myself for future things.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had some fun, but sorry you didn't get to enjoy it fully! Hiering some people to help out next time sounds like a good plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hosting parties. I think it's most fun being in the kitchen with the hustle and bustle. Do you have ample kitchen seating? Most people tend to congregate there anyway, so you can chat while prepping.

    But the best way to deal with this is to serve everything buffet style - including the drinks. Set out pre-mixed drinks in punch bowls or create a little drink cart with laminated drink recipes and guests can figure it out on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE hosting! Sometimes I get a little stressed - I am not 100% comfortable in the kitchen and prepping & cooking always takes longer than I think it will.

    It sounds like your husband had a wonderful birthday! Wish him a happy belated for me! :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you...it is a challenge to cater to your guests and find some time to unwind yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reese,
    Show us pictures of your fabuous food!

    In my own experience of throwing dinner parties, it gets easier every time. I actually have like one set menu I always use. I'm used to all the timing of things and the weird kinks in the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm with you. i love the preparation, but then i want to enjoy the guests too!!

    sounds like a great bday party...and happy belated thanksgiving to you too :)

    xoxo,
    carrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done with the party, but fully share your feeling and have experienced the same. Love to have friends (many friends!) over, but then I don't get to enjoy them. I just set things up where people will find them and then let them look after themselves. But to try to be hospitable I always carry something (food or bottle of wine) with me wherever I am sitting or standing. That way I can serve even as I socialize. But if you can find someone good, oh yes, waiter and/or bartender would be great. xo bb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smart idea! Cause yeah the preparation bit is so FUN!!!...but I don't think the running around is the worst part...I say the cleaning is ... So maybe hire someone for that too hehe

    That's so cool that you love Globe Trekker too!!!! AAaahhh it's such an amazing show :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I am sure you were an excellent hostess! Even if you couldn't enjoy the party yourself. I rarely have to put on any kind of party, but I rather be an attendee rather than the hostess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all your advice and support everyone! And Mary, you're so right, I wish I had taken some photos of the food, but I was just so busy that I completely forgot. I didn't even get many party photos and my husband was not too keen on taking any photos either. He was one reluctant birthday boy at the time, however, he had a great time and was thankful for the party.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always like playing hostess but it's not exactly relaxing. glad your husband had a good birthday though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a LITTLE LOVE and JOY.
You're a STAR!

Popular Posts