Camping in Southern Italy



Camping Southern Italian Style

I'm so happy to be back from camping. This is the longest I've been away from blogging and I look forward to catching up on all your wonderful blogs very shortly. My husband and I went to join some friends camping on campgrounds, called Riva Di Ugento, near Gallipoli, located on the tip of the boot of Italy (a.k.a Region of Puglia). A good time was had and I met some great people from all over Italy (Naples, Milan, Puglia to name a few), yet it was very exhausting; hence, I'm happy to be back in my own bed.


Can you see the people in the background to the right? 
They're still in shallow water!

The sea was absolutely calm and beautiful...like the waters around the Caribbean and I loved swimming in it because the water was clear and blue. The best thing about the Ionian and the Mediterranean sea is that there are beaches where the water remains shallow for hundreds of metres past the shoreline. This is fantastic for me because I'm a terrible swimmer, so if I'm not touching the water, I panic. 


The water here is great for all kinds of swimming from beginners to experts. Children absolutely love it and so do the adults!


The long shoreline. It goes on and on and on....

The downside was that the sun and humidity were killing me. The sweltering heat had me stay in the sea for most days. I felt like I was turning into a prune. This is what happens when you get too much of a good thing - sun and sea - you start to complain. When you're camping, there is no respite from the heat. Your tent is like a sauna and there's really no wind or breeze in the camp grounds. The only place that had air conditioning was the Grocery Store/Market and it was always packed with people; and I couldn't see ourselves standing in the small market all day long. So, we stayed on the beach from morning until night except for the small breaks we took for lunch and dinner. Despite my 30 SPF sunscreen, it wasn't enough to keep me and my significant other from getting sun burnt on the third day. I honestly think you have to be born and raised in this type of weather to be able to spend as much time as Italians do in the sun. 


Can you see the T.V. in the background?

The fascinating thing about camping in Italy is how many people camp in one area. This particular area, at its peak, fills up with five thousand people! Can you believe it?! That's the size of a village! There were people on a waiting list camping outside the camp grounds waiting to get in. How "mad" is that!


A really cool flying insect. I can't figure out what it is. It kind of looks like a dragon fly...any ideas?
It was bright red in colour. 


What can you expect camping in Italy?
Here are the differences I observed between camping 
North American style vs. Italian style.

Note: keep in mind that most things are optional when camping in any situation or country, except for a sleeping bag, unless of course you're Les Stroud, the Survivorman. So, this list is based on what I have commonly observed and noted.

North America:

Camp in the woods/forests/lake or desert (generally speaking)
Hiking may be involved
Taking a large back pack
Cooking Utensils and Supplies
Food
Cooler
Gas Propane Stove
Possibly a shower and toilet (indoor/outdoor) depending on the type of camping you're doing. 

Italy:

Camp near the sea/beach
Swimming pool
Vendors along the beach selling everything from dresses to beach towels, to jewellery and bags, etc.
Grocery Store/Market
Movie Night
Arcade
Disco Night
Bar and Cafe
Tennis Courts
Indoor Toilets and Showers
Electricity to plug in T.V.'s, radios, etc.
Wi-fi for Internet
Bicycles
Complete stove top
Mini-fridge
Cooking Utensils and Supplies
Flotation devices


Might you have something to add to these lists?

I'm sure I'll be doing more camping in this country in the future and it'll be interesting to  find out how they camp in Northern Italy. 


p.s. I noticed that I now have a 101 followers. Obviously, it's not a big deal, except to my ego. But my ego says how sweet is that!
Thank you all for your support.

You ROCK!!





Comments

  1. Welcome back, Reese! Sounds like such a great time! Wow, camping does sound a lot different in Italy than here. Oh I would just love to go to Italy! That water looks absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's a dragonfly - beautiful! La libellule in French.

    August is no time to be on the Med - I think that's the problem...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sweet Reese!!!! Thank you sooooo much for your cute words on my birthday post!!!! You made my day so more especial!!! Grazie!!!
    Hey, the camping pics are amazing! For sure you had so great time!!!
    Kisses from Brasil, dear sweet Reese!!
    Bela.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sea is beautiful! and i really think it's cool that it stays shallow. the beaches here in LA are fabulous, but we can't really swim in the ocean because the waves are always always there. so we always end up just playing near the ocean, but never actually in it.

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back,sweetie...
    I love that camping trip in Italy...Those photos are amazing...So lovely to hear from you:)

    Kisses and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. your pics look amazing! if i could only convince my husband to go camping there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is really different, isn't it? Have you been hiking in the Alps yet? That's a really different experience from the north-American one, too!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! Looks like a wonderful trip. The photos are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! It's like a big party there- unless of course you are hoping for quiet. But what a great chance to mingle with different people...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Sounds like you had a great time! It sounds so tempting. Would love to go there some day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back! The trip and your photos look so lovely! Thanks for such a wonderful bit of Mediterranean sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your wonderful return wishes! And thanks Tricia for confirming that it is a dragonfly. The name is so beautiful - Libellule.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, welcome back. Your pictures show it was a real fun, isn't it? you said August is no time to be on the Med--- WHY?
    I am also planing last weekend of August for camping.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always been hesitant to camp, whether in Italy or Canada... But that sea... I've almost been convinced! xo bb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a LITTLE LOVE and JOY.
You're a STAR!

Popular Posts