Global Warming Does Not Exist - Uh, Do we live on the same planet??!

Global warming does not exist and humans do not cause pollution.....well, that's what some Republicans from America say and also many people I meet. I'm confounded by these people. Do we live on the same planet?? I think not! We obviously live in different parallel dimensions.

Just two and half weeks ago, I was at a restaurant in Scandinavia with friends from Italy. We were having the usual conversation about food, etc., and then somehow we ended up talking about pollution and cars. Aahhhhhhh........yes, I remember now, we were talking about how high the taxes were in Scandinavia. We had wanted to rent a car to see the sights and drive to Stockholm, but the taxes were triple the cost of the actual car rental, so we decided that it was better to fly to our destination. Well, then we got into the conversation about why the taxes were so high. The government discourages people from driving, due to increased pollution, by enforcing high taxes and promotes other ways of commuting: trains, buses, bicycles, etc. Well, our very dear friend said in not so many words, "I don't believe that cars cause pollution. Global warming doesn't exist. Governments make-up that information." Our seemingly intelligent, somewhat travelled friend said these inane words. I could not, but pipe in my two cents. I realized the futility of it, but I had to try, for the good of mankind and earth.

Anyhow, my fiance was not happy with me. He does not believe in having conversations with people and prolonging an inevitable conversation full of conflict when it's obvious that they are set on their views. But the "hopeful, I can change the world" person inside me had to say something. Wouldn't you?

Comments

  1. Ciao Reese!! :)
    I think it's a very simplistic summary of our "three words" exchanged on the topic. I'm not so stupid to think that problem doesn't exist, but I really think that's inflated by media. Any way I don't think that in 1 minute of conversation you can understand me and all my thought on a complex topic. It's not right towards me.
    I'm available to deepen it when convenient.
    Keeping too quickly conclusions is a very regrettable error, in any case.
    Ah, I was forgetting: car's high taxes in denmark (I don't know for sweden) are not (or not only) for fighting pollution: there are no incentives on any less polluting propulsion on cars or on zero emission cars or on new cars. Thanks to this way of doing, many many people are going around with very expensive old cars, of course very polluting and with very low security standards. It's very frequent to see cars with a long trail of black smoke behind them. But it's ok for government. People pay money for it.
    Not all the good stuffs are inspired by good intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lerry!

    I agree with you that writing a short article in a blog doesn't do justice to a conversation that we had regarding the complex subject of pollution, global warming and government policies.

    I'm glad that you wrote regarding your views. I would definitely enjoy having a more detailed conversation with you on the complex issues surrounding global warming and pollution.

    Should you have any ideas or anything you'd like me to post on my blog, please send me an email. I welcome your input.

    Share the Love! :-)))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a LITTLE LOVE and JOY.
You're a STAR!

Popular Posts